Saturday 5 December 2009

Miami Day 3: Upon Reflection


Launch day of Pulse Miami with a 10am brunch preview and it is obvious that the Pulse team are, as expected, doing a great job. The place is busy all day with good collectors, museum people and general art going public, and I have a great response to the artists.

The Miami Herald reminds me though of a less savoury memory from the day before from Art Basel Miami that I must have unconsciously erased from my memory - the 'artwork' of Sylvester Stallone. Stallone had packed out a booth at the main fair with his bizarre paintings that look like a sixteen year old had dropped too many psychadelics before picking up some gouache paints from art class and a book on Expressionism. And the red dots told me all I needed to know about celebrity versus integrity.

I try to erase this recalled erasure with memories of Albert Oehlen, George Condo and the Britpack of Mark Wallinger, Gilbert & George and Richard Long.

No comments: